Relying on a strategic approach and a successful track record of placing UF MBA students, the Graduate Business Career Services (GBCS) team provides our stakeholders with career services that add tremendous value to the UF MBA experience. The current GBCS team comprises more than 100 combined years of corporate experience within the private sector representing such companies as McKinsey & Company Consulting, Korn/Ferry International, General Electric, Nortel Networks, ExxonMobil and many others. GBCS Career Coaches are true talent development and acquisition consultants both to our students and corporate partners.
The GBCS Differentiator: Our Personal and Individualized Approach
- Toward our Students: Your GBCS Career Coach will take the time to get to know you and will become invested in your overall success. We work with each of our students on an individualistic basis in order to ensure they are seeking the right career that will provide them with future success and fulfillment. Due to the small size of the UF MBA Program, we have the opportunity to work with you early and often in this manner to ensure your career success.
- Toward our Corporate Recruiters: Our goal for every corporate recruiter or hiring manager with whom we work with is to become their true talent acquisition consultant. We take the time to get to know their company, the roles for which they are hiring and the type of MBA candidates who would be successful in their organization. This enables us to provide individual recommendations of our talented MBA students, saving time and resources related to the talent acquisition process. Our ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with Global Fortune 500 companies strengthens both our corporate partners' ability to identify and retain top talent as well as the overall value proposition of UF MBA for our students.
The GBCS Effect on MBA Rankings
GBCS' success has played an integral role in UF MBA's positive movement in the U.S. News & World Report's MBA rankings. In 2011, UF MBA ranked 47th overall in the U.S. News rankings. In 2013, UF MBA is 36th overall—15th among U.S. publics. This positive trajectory is a direct result of our individualized, hands-on approach of working with students to deliver a positive impact on their overall career goals.
In addition to generating opportunities with the dozens of companies who specifically come to Gainesville to recruit UF MBAs, the GBCS team has recently partnered with UF MBA to launch an initiative that enabled students to directly engage recruiters from more than 200 national and global companies at one of the largest MBA career fairs in the world. Through partnerships with the career fair host organization and our contacts in the airline and hospitality industries, we were able to fly more than 80 students to the career fair. GBCS is committed to finding and securing the best opportunities for our MBAs whether that means bringing the opportunities to students or bringing the students to the opportunities.
An important part of your overall GBCS experience will be interacting with corporate executives such as hiring managers or corporate recruiters of major companies. Whether they are UF MBA alumni or GBCS contacts, the information you will acquire from these professionals will assist you in your overall professional development and career success. There are many ways in which GBCS provides the opportunity to network with corporate executives. Here is just a sample of how we facilitate these opportunities for you:
- GBCS Professional Development Day: A day-long event with experts in topics such as personal branding and social media utilization as well as job function breakout sessions and lots of networking.
Corporate Information Sessions:
Hear firsthand from executives what type of talent their company is seeking, what it is like to work for that company and how you can expect to advance through their organization.
On-Campus Career Fairs & Interviews:
There are numerous on-campus opportunities to take part in. Career fairs and interview opportunities take place throughout the year providing a great way to secure your internship or full-time job.
National MBA Career Fairs:
GBCS provides information and resources for several national MBA career fairs which you can choose to attend.
- GBCS Career Development Seminar Series: A series of professional development workshops presented primarily by corporate executives on such topics as Nailing the Interview, How to Establish a Professional Network, Social Media as a Career Resource and Building Your Professional Brand Image.
UF MBA Advisory Board Meetings:
Network with members of our UF MBA Advisory Board. These senior executives take a personal interest in the development of our students and UF MBA. Members of our Board represent global companies such as Deloitte Consulting, KPMG, Walt Disney, Oracle, Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Citi, Raymond James Financial and Wells Fargo to name a few.
Who's Hiring UF MBA
The individualistic approach that we take in working with our students provides them exposure to many of the top Fortune 500 companies in the United States. In the last year alone, our UF MBA students were offered either an internship or full-time job offer at companies that included:
Anheuser-Busch Darden Restaurants
Bank of America
Ernst & Young
Johnson & Johnson
Procter & Gamble
Ryder System, Inc.
The Home Depot
Toys R Us
Full-Time Programs Intake Process
GBCS' Intake Process is a proven method that has helped UF MBA graduates secure internships and full-time positions at Fortune 500 companies across the United States. This individualized approach helps formulate a tailored strategy specific to your career aspirations.
- Step 1: Pre-Orientation Career Work
- Step 2: MBA Orientation Week
- Step 3: Individual Strategy Meeting
- Step 4: Career assessment and the development of a job/internship search marketing plan
- Step 5: Résumé Construction
- Step 6: Initial Mock Interview – Measurement of interview skills
- Step 7: Career Fair Simulation & Preparation
- Step 8: Attendance at GBCS Professional Development Day
- Step 9: Alumni Networking and "Informational Interview" Activity
- II. First-round interviews
- III. Final-round interviews
- GBCS Team Mock Interview Simulation
- Final Preparation Strategy Discussion
- IV. Job & Internship Offers
- Offer selection strategy discussion
- Negotiation strategy discussion
- V. Offer Acceptance
- VI. Job/Internship Professional Development Preparation
- GBCS Career Development Seminar Series: "You got the job….Now What?"; "The Importance of Your First 30, 60, 90 Days."